No products in the cart.
Governments world wide are stepping up makes an attempt to include the unfold of the coronavirus, following Italy’s emergency choice to quarantine about 16m folks within the north of the nation.
Listed here are highlights of the important thing developments on Sunday, which might be discovered posted in full on the FT’s stay weblog:
• Italy has imposed a lockdown limiting the motion of residents within the affluent north of the nation, with prime minister Giuseppe Conte saying the nation faces a nationwide emergency because the variety of confirmed instances exceeded 7,300.
• Well being officers in Italy’s Lombardy area have warned of the extraordinary pressure that the unfold of the virus is inserting on the healthcare system, with one official saying the system “is a step away from collapse”.
• Alitalia, Italy’s flagship airline, mentioned it might slash the numbers of flights operated from airports in Milan and Venice from Monday, with its providers on worldwide routes rerouted through Rome’s Fiumicino airport.
• Elsewhere in Europe, officers in Germany and Austria are contemplating limiting gatherings of greater than 1,000 folks, with Germany’s well being minister calling for sports activities matches, concert events and commerce festivals to be cancelled to include the unfold of the virus.
• Ten folks have been confirmed lifeless and 23 stay trapped following the collapse of a lodge in China that was getting used as a quarantine web site for sufferers suspected of getting the virus.
• Hospitals in northern Iran are reported to be struggling to manage, with a member of parliament for Gilan, the worst-affected Iranian area, claiming: “Many individuals are buried every single day with the signs of corona, however their quantity isn’t included within the official figures”. Confirmed instances in Iran have surpassed 6,500, however officers in Tehran deny any cover-up.
• Saudi Arabia has locked down the oil-rich jap area of Qatif, the place all 11 Saudi instances of the virus have been recorded. To forestall transmission, barring primary providers, all government-owned and personal companies might be closed. State tv additionally reported that each one academic and Koranic actions at mosques might be suspended from Monday.
• In London, chancellor Rishi Sunak pledged further funds to assist companies, significantly small companies, combat the results of the coronavirus on the Funds subsequent week.
• The Japanese and German governments have additionally pledged particular measures to provide better state help to small companies affected by the disaster
• New York declared a state of emergency on Saturday after the variety of instances within the state rose to 76, out of the greater than 300 throughout the US. Oregon adopted on Sunday after the variety of identified instances of individuals contracting coronavirus within the state doubled to 14
• A number one White Home coronavirus knowledgeable warned that the rising variety of instances within the US was making it more durable to find out how folks have been contracting the virus, intensifying concern over folks attending giant occasions across the nation.
Reporting by Claer Barrett in London, Davide Ghiglione in Rome, Najmeh Bozorgmehr in Tehran, Simeon Kerr in Dubai, Sue-Lin Wong in Hong Kong, Olaf Storbeck in Frankfurt and Sam Jones in Zurich
Total Page Visits: 6 - Today Page Visits: 1